Tech Talk Tuesdays: Skype in the Classroom
When: Tuesday March 24th, 4-5pm, Melbourne, Australia time (gmt+11 or utc+11).
Where: Blackboard Collaborate. Click on this link to listen to the recording.
About this session: The innovative use of technology can break down physical and social barriers so that students and teachers can learn with and from classes elsewhere including across the world. Classes of all ages can communicate and interact with each other taking learning beyond the textbook. With no or minimal cost and effort expert speakers can be brought in virtually.
Skype is a free, user friendly tool that is globally available and provides many elements that are necessary for successful and innovative real time or synchronous linkups and even non synchronous linkups. Equipment needs are minimal and within the reach of all.
This session will:
- introduce participants to skype,
- demonstrate some of its advanced features,
- share stories of successful use in traditional and innovative classrooms,
- share resources, sites to get connected to other classrooms and expert speakers and
- disucss some tips and tricks for succeeding.
- Participants will be walked through the Skype in Education site which offers many opportunities for connecting free.
- outline some of the new features of skype – skype video messages, skype translator etc